Sunday, January 25, 2009

Quiet Sunday


We are taking a day of rest today--our "old" bodies need it. We're even resting from 8 am church today though our ward is very nice, and we enjoy it. Last week we the new missionary couple came for the first time--new directors of the temple visitors center: Elder and Sister Eubank. Elder Eubank is otherwise known as Mark, the weather man. They were called to a two-year mission at the St George Temple visitor center and after a year were released early so they could be called to a two-year mission here. Three years for the call of two. 

This afternoon we'll have our downstairs neighbors up for dinner. The are the Lusters, who taught at Snow when I was there. Jim has retired from teaching physics and is teaching here for a year as a volunteer. A lot of people do that--come for a year as volunteers and teach.

I drove to the neighboring town to get my debit card from the woman who rescued it. She and her two teenage children living a very small and very run down house off Homestead Road--lands given to native Hawaiians to live on. I don't know much about that, but many Hawaiians feel that their land was taken from them when the US eliminated the monarchy and made Hawaii a territory. They haven't forgotten, especially on this side of the island where Hawaiians predominate. We're really enjoying the Hawaiian roots music we're discovering here. 

Anyway, I had a hard time finding the place and I think we was waiting. She and her kids greeted me and the door and gave me my card. I gave her two See's bars, dark chocolate with almonds (our favorite and our last) and thanked her. She gave me a hug. She took good care of the card.

The pictures are some flowers--from the the farmer's market yesterday and from the university grounds outside our offices. 

Greg

No comments: