Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Pictures of home and school
















Inauguration day. We got turned the tv on at 6:30 am for the 7 am swearing in and speech. We have hope. I really liked the closing prayer, and the prayer for the luncheon--asking the Lord to bless this president with protection from arrogance. What a great blessing that will be for all of us. We just watched the Obamas walk hand in hand down Pennsylvania Ave--I remember watching Jimmy Carter do that in 1976. I was sitting at a typewriter in our apartment in Springville writing my MA thesis. Now it's a laptop in Hawaii revising an essay for publication. Some things change and some things don't.

It's a rainy day and the waves are as flat as we have seen them. I ran an errand and took a picture to post here of the main building of BYUH. The flags represent the home countries of the current students. Diversity is the fun reality here. 

I have been trying to drag myself away from the beach to work on that essay that came back for major revision. So Linda caught me reading in the living room, and today I took a picture of the view that was distracting me from that reading. 

Yesterday we walked across the reef to a little island off the point--Mokuauia, or Goat Island as most call it. You can see it on the horizon in the picture out our living room window. There's a bird refuge there, and a pristine little beach on a quiet lagoon that you can't see from shore, along with some cliffs that the big waves crash on. Couldn't take cameras out there because the trip is a very wet hike. The ocean out there is deep, wild, and very blue. Greg

No comments: